Battle of Worksop - 1459 - 1460?

Moderator: Moderators

Allan Harley

Battle of Worksop - 1459 - 1460?

Post by Allan Harley »

Heres one for all you knowledge heads out there - I have been reading accounts of the death of Richard of York, the battle of Wakefield and the reasons for his retreat to Sandal.

One of the main reasons for bottling up his forces which that has piqued my interest is that he reputedly came upon his varward which had been slaughtered/ smashed near Worksop -

In this year (1460?), and a few days before the great battle of Wakefield, there was a fight or skirmish at Worksop, which appears to have been omitted by all the chroniclers, with the exception of William of Worcester. He states that "the Duke of York, with the Earl of Salisbury, and many thousand armed men, were going from London to York, in December, 1460, when a portion of his men, the van, as is supposed, or perhaps the scouts, to the number of * * * were cut off by the people of the Duke of Somerset, at Worksop,

Help please? :D
Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Gerald ye Herald

Post by Gerald ye Herald »

Found this...................

The Battle of Wakefield

December 30, 1460

Following the capture of Henry VI, Queen Margaret raised an army in Yorkshire numbering some 15,000 men. The Duke of York and the Earl of Salisbury, with an army of about 6,000 men, marched out of London in early December and headed north. At Worksop they brushed aside a Lancastrian advance guard commanded by the captain Andrew Trollope and arrived at Sandal castle in Yorkshire. Unbeknown to York, the Lancastrians had concentrated their forces at nearby Pontefract castle.

On 29th December a Yorkist foraging party blundered into the main body of the Lancastrian army and was pursued back to Wakefield. The following morning a force of about 6,000 men commanded by the Duke of Somerset and Lord Clifford deployed for battle in full view of the Yorkist army in and around Sandal castle. On seeing this, the Duke of York and the Earl of Salisbury marched their army down from the castle onto level ground near the River Calder. They did not realise that the Lancastrians had laid a trap. As soon as York and Somerset became embroiled in a melee, two large forces of the Lancastrian army, commanded by the Earl of Wiltshire and Lord Roos, emerged from nearby woods surrounding the Yorkist army. Around 3,000 Yorkists were killed including the Duke of York. His son the Earl of Rutland was killed escaping from the battlefield and the Earl of Salisbury was captured that evening and executed the next day
Preserving the Art of Medieval Heraldics
And Chivalry
Live for today, dream of tomorrow, learn from yesterday!.
http://armisheraldics.me.uk/1.html
http://gyh.fotopic.net
http://ah.fotopic.net

Gerald ye Herald

Another version....The march north was carelessly conducted. 0ne of the tenets of medieval warfare was that there should be good scouting, and normally this was very competently done. Although mounted men usually fought on foot when battle was joined, there were plenty of horsemen for scouting duties, and they were usually able to find the enemy besides being skilful enough to make an estimate of his numbers and apparent intentions, two of the vital elements of military intelligence. At Worksop there was a collision with the rear guard of Somerset's force. It seems that Richard never even suspected that Somerset, on his way to join the Queen, was in the neighbourhood, and Somerset took the opportunity to ambush the Yorkist vanguard and maul it severely. By the time that Richard had recovered from his surprise, Somerset had slipped away to continue his march. Somerset's force was a mere contingent of the Queen's army, and if Richard had been doing his job properly, he could have forced Somerset into a fight when he greatly out-numbered him. The destruction of Somerset's contingent could have greatly influenced the out-come of the campaign.
And Chivalry

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

thank you - interested of course because Beaufort is mentioned but it seems that this (if it happened) was a good sized affair with several thousand participants.

Ah feel like I've got my winter project laid out for me then

Gerald ye Herald

Good luck with it then :wink:
And Chivalry

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

Allan you should contact Adrian Waite from the Cliffords, he has studied this in depth. I remember myself and his wife sitting around a campfire one night pretending we were interested after several bottles of the red stuff it sort of was. I have his contact details if you want them
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Mick,M

Post by Mick,M »

As I come from Worksop I'll put in my two penath, The site of the skermish / battle is suppose to be to the south west of the town, but not a lot of info is available, it is suppose to have been on a par with the battle at ferry bridge, before Towton.
We tried to do a battle there some years ago but no one would take it seriously, I'm glad some one else has put two and two together, may be this did have a effect on the battle of Wakefeild, and as such should have its place in history.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

I think that there is more room to re-enact these smaller skirmishes then the better known battles. Afterall the biggest issue the public (and myself) have is that there are clearly never enough people taken part. Too often you have the "mighty army of warwick" all five of them taking to the field and it looks a wee sad. You can probably play these smaller "battles", more true to their actual size. At the Black Maunch we would love to re-create the "Battle of Derby" which was in essence a pub brawl with bills and swords. The plan I had would move it away from being the three pushes and then one side plays dead to smaller fights taking place all over the field with lots of people running off when they are getting beaten and then coming back with their mates five minutes later to settle the score. I wish Allen all the success he can have with this.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Does this mean you're looking to organise a bash in our neck of the woods Allan?
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

If enough information could be put together - feel it would be really worthwhile to try and organise something for the anniversay year anyway - BUT NOT in December!

This leads on again - Nibley Green, Worksop (possibly); what other small(ish) engagements are there for the WotRoses that aren't well known?

Man from Coventry

Post by Man from Coventry »

There are hordes of them but here are a few off the top of my head (apologies if the dates are wrong) here are a few;

Assorted skirmishes between Calais & Guines - 1459 - 1460 - Warwick/Beaufort.
Siege of Carreg Cennen - 1461 - superb castle but utterly impossible for a large re-enactment.
Tunbridge 1450 - Jack Cade's revolt
London Bridge 1450 - Jack Cade's revolt.
The Sack of Elvaston - 1450 - Longford/Blount Feud.
A good sword, a trusty hand, a merry heart and true.

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

not just WOTR - always wanted to do the cornish prayer book rebelion.

3 months long battle just outside of exeter with hardly any fighting cuminating in a punch up on blackheath if memory serves me right.

but the other one is the bastard of faunconberg taking london

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Good thread - indeed there were plenty of armed conflicts going on of various scaless in this period that werent directly related to the WOTR that tends to dominate what we do

ditto the Cornish and Kentish rebellion, the Vernon feud up here

Marcus - Battle of Derby - is that the one near Belper?
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

There's always one near Belper :oops:

But seriously - there is a tendency to concentrate on the major engagements - nothing wrong with that. They are the full stops to historical sentences.

For the standard event though - smaller scale, local disputes are something special and need to be
A: Encouraged
B: Supported
and
C: Fun!!!!!

Chris, yclept John Barber

Post by Chris, yclept John Barber »

Man from Coventry wrote:London Bridge 1450 - Jack Cade's revolt.
"Hello Mr Policeman, we'd like to do a battle re-enactment. It may involve closing a road or two, oh and of course a bridge..." :D
Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Alan, in some ways a small scale local squabble is much more credible than trying to do Bosworth with 8 blokes and a mule, so to speak, also provides for more understandable stories, land disputes, inheritance, old rivalries than great big things like dynasties and what not, so I agree, Scrap Local.

Any one here do the Battle of Solefields, circa 1990? A Jack cade rebellion bash, excellent fun, lots of shot people (by my guys mainly), great scrap and nice mix of groups.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

craig its the grey vs vernon one me old mucker.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

we did a small scale land dispute at escot and few other shows - all it meant was the insults before the battle were very odd

"oye tell your mistrals to stop palying so loud - you've woken the lord up"
"stop leaving your chariot outside my hovel"
"your shrubbery is encrouching on my view"

and the immoratl

"your grandfather sold my grandmother a lame donkey" - factually the reason for 3 seperate mafioso disputes

etc etc

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

[quote="Assorted skirmishes between Calais & Guines - 1459 - 1460 - Warwick/Beaufort.

I'll get my passport - when are we off?

Penske666

Re: Battle of Worksop - 1459 - 1460?

Post by Penske666 »

The Battle of Worksop celebrates it's 550th anniversary on 16th December. I've been a bit busy hacking through circumstance and supposition and come up with this:

http://priorieshistoricalsociety.blogsp ... untry.html

Please feel free to hack it to bits as much as you want :o

Why has Wakefield stolen our skull??? now we've got nothing (not even something which may predate the battle by 200 odd years :) )

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

nice article and appears well reasoned

Ghost
Beaufort Companye
"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

Strickland

Post by Strickland »

Sounds good to me, I seem to remember a Jack Cade show many moons ago in the earlier days of the Fed, though I may be wrong? Twas a long journey for us Midlanders so I suspect it was that! As Allan says, encourage, support and have fun!

Neil
Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

we re-enacted Worksop a couple of years ago at the nearby Rufford Abbey
"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

Mick,M

Post by Mick,M »

would that be the seven oaks school bash the we the stanley setup?
was fun to try and get all thse grousp together form that the fed began to gather speed and look were it is now

Strickland

Post by Strickland »

You might be right there Mick, certainly rings a bell or two albiet slightly cracked!!

Neil
Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

Strickland

Post by Strickland »

You might be right there Mick, certainly rings a bell or two albiet slightly cracked!! I do remember it being a slightly undulating field!

Neil

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I have some photos somwhere from the Sevenoaks/Jack Cade event

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

yep thought so, Fed/White Company "Jack Cade Rebellion" event at Sevenoaks in 1990 if I recall

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Strickland

Post by Strickland »

Thats the one, and I dont believe it but on the first pic I swear thats one of my guys, quite possibly Steve Pole (also on this forum), on the right, recognise the lid and the two colour band around it! I ran Hastings Retinue back then, seem to remember we took the Percys with us too, being Mike and Sue from Berwick! Although it might be a bit of a hijack of thethread, sorry!, do you have any more pics by chance??

Cheers!!

Neil :twisted:

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

think so but not digitised