Making armour shiney

Moderator: Moderators

Quayn

Making armour shiney

Post by Quayn »

What do you use? I'm asking for the best metal polishing technique for getting shiney plate back to former glory.

THanks all.
Q.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Inauthenti? Micromesh cloth, in the finer grades, so shiney it goes beyond shiney and comes out dull if you overdo it ( I think offhand thats the 12000 grit) 8)

Authenti, I have hears that madder stems are good for polishing armour, having handled them I believe it (feels like cat;s tongues) but havent tried it

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Whatever works best, give me some too omae :( . As an aside i hope your ma is feeling happier now what with what went on at Joust. I still havn't given up the hope of meeting you all. Maybe at Blore Heath?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Try the oil, woodash and sand method, nice and authenti too.

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9919
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

whaddya wanna go and make it shiny for??

:D
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Tuppence wrote:whaddya wanna go and make it shiny for??

It makes it more obvious so we can hit it.

Quayn

Post by Quayn »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Whatever works best, give me some too omae :( . As an aside i hope your ma is feeling happier now what with what went on at Joust. I still havn't given up the hope of meeting you all. Maybe at Blore Heath?
Aye we're doing blore, maybe mums last event.
Tuppence wrote:whaddya wanna go and make it shiny for??

'Cause boss wont let me paint it pink.
:cry:

Thanks all.
Q.

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

Pink and white, li'l Quayn. We giggle insanely at your black!
Ni!
http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

[hint]There was more than one bottle of Autoglym in use at the jousting in Leeds last weekend [/hint]
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

Jon, if it is to be your Mums last then we need to make it special,
PM me 8)

Good coat of Duck oil helps to keep the muck away, also heard good things of silicon spray but never tried - anyone know if its any good?
Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Conquest use it on Maille Alan seesm to do the trick
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Phil, you were at the joust??

Quayn

Post by Quayn »

Cat wrote:Pink and white, li'l Quayn. We giggle insanely at your black!
Ni!
Technically it is only really dark blue. How on earth would I keep white clean. :shock:

Q.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Have you tried elbow grease?

I'm told that in the middle ages, armour would often be polished to a mirror shine, so it must have been possible, though the work involved would be huge. Obviously you have to work your way down through increasingly finer abrasives until you polish out so many scratches that it reflects. I'm not sure if the final polishing wasn't done with chalk or some such.

You might even have some success with jewler's rouge (I think I got mine by Googling for it, btu I'll see if I've got contact details) for the final work, but even with a polishing wheel, it's still going to take a lot of doing.

Good luck and wish your mum well from us.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Take it to your local motorbike polishers and get them to play with their mops and abrasives- normally the novelty of the job keeps the cost down and you may end up with more group members. :)

StaffordCleggy

Post by StaffordCleggy »

I have a grinding & polishing set up at work.

The MD usually catches me cleaning my armour the monday morning after an event.... :oops:
"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
- Anne Lamott

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

"Elbow grease"!?! Surely if Quayn is a man of distinction and means, as evident by his wearing of harness he should not need to use "elboe grease"! No he needs to get his bloody servent to use his elbow grease!
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Quayn

Post by Quayn »

reason for needing a bit of a shine, is my stuff went to berkley with me, I've buffed to a clean state, but would have liked to get a buit of a polish on... nothing mirror shine or anything, just make it look loved, as opposed to loved on.
Q.

janes-wardrobe

Post by janes-wardrobe »

First use goose grease mixed with fine sand, then finish off with wood ash mixed in olive oil.

It works - it takes forever and the goosegrease stinks. You can of course substitute pig fat (lard) but that's pretty rank as well!

Someone in our group spent the entire weekend polishing one half of someone elses helmet (oo er) leaving him with the task of matching up the other half!!!
currently available for costume and corset commissions mail me on janes.wardrobe@gmail.com
http://janes-wardrobe.com/ - bientôt en français

Wayland2002

Re: Making armour shiney

Post by Wayland2002 »

Quayn wrote:What do you use? I'm asking for the best metal polishing technique for getting shiney plate back to former glory.

THanks all.
Q.
Mops and polishing compounds of various grades.

I seal with silicon Allen, it works extremely well.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

My armour is just shiny, no idea how, something to do with my squires I believe.

The new harness is going to be silvered and gilded. ha! No more dirt problems for me then. Maybe I'll save money on squires then....
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Wayland2002

Post by Wayland2002 »

Mark Griffin wrote:Maybe I'll save money on squires then....
If you don't need them anymore could you throw one my way please?

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Why Wayland, your old one split?
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

Another authenty abrasive are horsetails stems (thats the plant - not a by-product of any other horse eating related thread). Not only do they make a good thenty sandpaper but many gardiners would happily pay you to dig the plants up as they are regarded by many as a horrible, invasive weed.
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

very true Neil. It often grows on road sides and old disturbed land like derelict buildings etc.

It takes up sillica from the earth as a defensive mechanism against grazing animals. In some areas its call ed 'potscrub' so you get the idea. Its best harvested about now, then hung up to dry. Cabinet makers used to use it for fine sanding, Grinling Gibbons accounts show payments for it.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

Youn can also goldplate or gold leaf - fabulous for not having to clean :D

But suggest not all the armour - nothing offers a more apt definition of the word target
Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

but if I am not bright and shining like the sun how will my foes notice me to prove their worth?

Kaybob

Post by Kaybob »

i understood it was always fire ash ground with oil (NOT in the kitchen pestle and mortar though), as applied by the most junior member of the team.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Mark Griffin wrote:but if I am not bright and shining like the sun how will my foes notice me to prove their worth?
Or, in the tiny chance that you are captured, worth ransoming?
Never saw the point in this skulking around, being rusty and muddy and trying blend in with the lower orders. Verges on cheating doncherknow!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Hi Kaybob, you need an abrasive in there or nowt will happen. Pumice flour, rottenstone, sharp sand, all will scour in a variety of degrees. Buy from liberon Waxes, good stuff and very effective