Latin script on 14/15th century armour.

Moderator: Moderators

Stuart Quayle

Latin script on 14/15th century armour.

Postby Stuart Quayle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am

Saw a very nicely made replica of a Churburg armour harness online today, including a copy of a breastplate by 'Master P' for a member of the Matsch family made in 1390, and along the brass borders of the breastplate were etched the following words in Latin: "Iesus Autem Transiens Per Medium Illorum Ibat". Now, I was never taught Latin but ... with the help of a Latin online translator and (hopefully) some reasonablely good(?) guesswork and bible study I worked out the translation as: "But he (Jesus) went right through their midst and continued on his way".

This comes I think from Luke, Chapter 4 verse 30 of the Bible. After Jesus had been in the wilderness for 40 days, he came to preach in the synagogue in Nazareth, but the congregation became angry with him and dragged him to a nearby hill to throw him off. The translation from Latin reads:- "But he (Jesus) went right through their midst and continued on his way".

My question is: Does anyone know of any other biblical Latin inscriptions on famous 14/15th century armour which they would like to share, or is there an online directory listing such extant armour embellishments?

Really keen to hear. Many thanks in anticipation :)
Regards Stuart

Return to “1100-1500”