The Academy of Historical Arts - formal introduction

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

The Academy of Historical Arts - formal introduction

Postby KeithFarrell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Academy of Historical Arts

Short Description:

Our aim is to promote and further the study of European history through the medium of the historical, martial and creative arts. We research and train many disciplines of the historical European martial arts, we teach and practice many different traditional handcrafts, and we let people learn about any era of European history that they find interesting.

http://www.historical-academy.co.uk

We are based in Glasgow, but have members across Scotland.

Long Description:

I would like to post this message by Ben Kerr, senior scholar of the Academy of Historical Arts.

-----

Hello,

My name is Ben Kerr and I am the senior scholar and director of the Academy of Historical Arts. The Academy was founded in early 2010 by Keith Farrell, Elizabeth Thacker and I, growing from a University group which Elizabeth Thacker and I founded in 2007. It is one of three sections within the Triquetra Services organisation which is currently awaiting confirmation for charitable status from the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (aka. OSCR).

The primary purpose of the Academy of Historical Arts is to provide education and training in both the Historical European Martial Arts and traditional historical crafts. Our members work on developing skills and and can attain certificates in many different disciplines, both martial and artistic in nature. We have a large and detailed syllabus for progression in the various disciplines, each of which are supported by historical sources, and our certificate qualification system follows three student levels and two instructor levels. To become an instructor in the Academy for a particular discipline, one must possess both knowledge and skill in the discipline and must also be an effective educator; as well as attaining the certificate qualification our instructors are granted a teaching license which must be kept current to ensure that our instructors are always safe, effective and competent.

We expect combatant students to work towards developing a high level of fitness, and so we run regular fitness assessments throughout their training. So far we have had a lot of success with students improving their fitness and passing these tests. We also have a well developed set of tournament rules to allow us to test our martial skills against each other in a measurable fashion. These are continuously under improvement but are so far we are very happy with how they help our tournaments run.

As well as tournaments our combatants test their skills with such activities as test cutting and battlefield training. New this summer will be our take on the British army march-and-shoot exercise which will be an excellent yet taxing experience for those who take part.

Our largest annual event for combatants is our Vanguard training weekend which involves 48 hours of intense training with 5:00am starts, PT, multiple combat disciplines, marching drills and test cutting. It is designed to stretch our combatants to their limit as well as to give our lance and company leaders the chance to hone their leadership skills in situations more stressful than normal, and it offers our instructors the opportunity to deliver more intensive instruction than is normally possible. Vanguard over the last two years has been a huge success and we have been blessed with the privilege of using the University of Glasgow grounds and cloisters for this event.

Our crafting is as varied as our combat classes, we take pride in learning new crafts and making as much of our kit ourselves as we can. One project that we have been exploring over the past three years is that of designing and making historical tents by hand ourselves, then camping in them annually for a week at a time at our excellent site on the banks of Loch Lomond. So far only our first tent has failed, the appropriate lessons were learned, and we have made six tents successfully since then. In the new year a group of Academy members will be undertaking the design, construction and fitting of hilt assemblies for a set of Albion blade blanks, a significant and difficult project but one to which we look forward. Our activities and lessons learned through this project will be carefully documented and posted to a website that we are currently developing for the purpose of building an open community for sharing information relating to hilt furnishing.

Although in the past we have tried to keep largely to ourselves, we will be making more of an effort to get to know other groups and members of the historical hobbyist community. If anyone is up in Glasgow then we would love to meet you and go for a drink. For now though it is my utmost pleasure to formally introduce you to the Academy of Historical Arts and Triquetra Services.

Until I have the pleasure of meeting you in person I offer the kindest regards.

Sincerely,
CLC Ben Kerr MA, MLitt
Triquetra Services

This is posted on my behalf by Keith Farrell who is a senior instructor in the Academy and is also the recognised online voice of the organisation.
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
Triquetra Services (Scotland)
Charity registration number SC042086
KeithFarrell

Re: The Academy of Historical Arts - formal introduction

Postby KeithFarrell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Some Images of our Activities

Members of the Academy sitting down to lunch during the 2009 summer camp.

Ben Kerr armoured up for the 2009 Freshers Fair at Glasgow University.

Members of the Academy relaxing at the 2010 New Year Banquet.

One of our tents being sewn meticulously by hand.

Alex Bourdas and Keith Farrell sparring with longswords during the 2010 summer camp.

Ben Kerr and Keith Farrell teaching a lesson on staff fighting during the 2010 summer camp.

Keith Farrell and Ben Kerr facing off with sabres on the shores of Loch Lomond during the 2010 summer camp.
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am

We have updated our website somewhat, we now have a really funky graphic design courtesy of Ben Kerr, programmed and made to work by myself with much cursing, coffee and swearing at Explorer :-)

http://www.historical-academy.co.uk

The profile pictures for the different instructors will be updated at some point soon, I just picked whichever images for each person that I came across first on my hard drive. We do intend to portray ourselves more professionally when we have time to take the pictures!
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey all. I have just finished proofreading and editing my translation of the longsword section from Sigmund Ringeck's MS Dresden C487. I received considerable help from Andreas Engström, since I created the English translation from his Swedish translation. This version is as correct as I can make it, and I have corrected a number of silly little typos and spelling mistakes that my first version contained.

Please feel free to have a look at the translation, hosted on the Academy of Historical Arts website:
http://www.historical-academy.co.uk/reports/keithfarrell/Ringeck%20Longsword.pdf

The translation will remain open and available to the community at large, so please use it and enjoy! If you have any feedback or anything, please let me know, I accept all forms of criticism but I certainly prefer positive reinforcement :D

--------

For people who are unfamiliar with Sigmund Ringeck, he was a fencing master from Bavaria who studied the Liechtenauer tradition of longsword along with assorted other fighting styles. He probably lived and worked in the first half of the 1400s, but his original glossas seem to have been lost; however, his commentaries on the fighting style survived in three later manuscripts, one of which is the MS Dresden C487, finished circa 1510 AD. The manuscript contained a lot more than just the longsword, unfortunately I have only been able to translate the longsword section, but hopefully at a later date I will be able to work on more of the manuscript.

If anyone is interested in more of the fighting manuals from medieval Europe then this is a fantastic resource for finding them:
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I would like to post this message on behalf of my fellow Senior Scholar in the Academy of Historical Arts:

Hello,

My name is Ben Kerr, I am one of the senior scholars within the Academy of Historical Arts. As part of our commitment to historical education I am releasing many of my University essays, my undergraduate dissertation and my masters thesis. All work released scored 2.i or higher within the University of Glasgow History, Celtic Civilisation, Battlefield Archaeology or War Studies departments. The essay that is being released first in this series was written as part of my MLitt in War Studies course, and is a rather critical view of a pair of works which suggest that throughout history the Celtic peoples have passed down a particular style of warfare that resisted change from Roman times to the US Civil War. It would be helpful to read the two works against which the essay argues, although I strongly suggest you read my essay afterwards before taking on board and agreeing with the points of view within these two works:

Hill, J. M. (1986). Celtic Warfare 1595-1763. Edinburgh: John Donald Publishers Ltd
McWhiney, Grady. "Continuity in Celtic Warfare." Continuity 1981 (2): 1-18. Issn: 0277-1446

The reason for me releasing this essay first is that I have noticed on quite a few historical hobbyist boards, people are making arguments based on the celticity thesis, and I feel I should address the problems inherent within the notion. I hope you find the essay enjoyable and I would be interested in your feedback, although I wrote the essay over a year ago so I may be a bit rusty on its finer details. I promise my further works are much more positive in nature and hope that you will find this series interesting both with regards to history and also with regards to the study of man's most popular pursuit, warfare.

I would also like to thank Keith Farrell for typesetting this work on my behalf.

Humbly,
CLC Ben Kerr MA(Hons) Mlitt
Senior Scholar Academy of Historical Arts

The essay can be found on our website at this link: http://www.historical-academy.co.uk/reports/benkerr/Celtic%20Warfare%20-%20Fact%20or%20Fiction.pdf

Please feel free to download it and read it, and if you have any questions, suggestions or disagreements then please get in touch and Ben will be more than happy to discuss it with you.
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey all, I'm proud to present a new blog that is hosted, authored and maintained by the Academy of Historical Arts. We call it "Encased in Steel" and our purpose is to write interesting and thought provoking essays and articles about European history, sometimes concentrating on the martial aspects of our history, sometimes concentrating on general history, and sometimes concentrating on the traditional handcrafts from past centuries. Hopefully this blog will be of interest to members of the HEMA community, to members of the historical re-enactment community, to teachers and students, and to anyone with a passing interest in history.

We will be publishing a new article every Friday afternoon, and will hold to this weekly submission. Our contributors have built up a queue of articles ready for posting, so that we should be able to keep posting without dry spells. Our goal is to be one of the most interesting and most professional history and HEMA blogs currently active!

If you are intrigued, then come and pay us a visit:
http://www.historical-academy.co.uk/blog/

We have this week's article written and posted, next week will be a review of the SWASH weekend.
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:47 pm

On Tuesday the 8th of February, 2011, Triquetra Services (Scotland) became a fully registered charitable organisation with registration number SC042086. We received this charitable status for our educational programmes run through the Academy of Historical Arts, and we are ecstatic to have received this formal recognition of our contributions to education, heritage and the arts. It took us a lot of work with our business advisers and with our lawyers to reach this stage, but we managed to climb all the hurdles and jump through all the hoops placed before us, and now we have our charitable status.

My colleagues and I in Triquetra Services wish to extend our happiness to the community, and we look forward to working with all of you in the future.

On a slightly less serious note, leave it up to the Scots in Glasgow to achieve charitable status for beating people with swords! ;-)
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:38 am

And we have updated our website so that it looks a lot more professional now:

http://www.triquetra-services.org
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:27 pm

KeithFarrell wrote:Hey all, I'm proud to present a new blog that is hosted, authored and maintained by the Academy of Historical Arts. We call it "Encased in Steel" and our purpose is to write interesting and thought provoking essays and articles about European history, sometimes concentrating on the martial aspects of our history, sometimes concentrating on general history, and sometimes concentrating on the traditional handcrafts from past centuries. Hopefully this blog will be of interest to members of the HEMA community, to members of the historical re-enactment community, to teachers and students, and to anyone with a passing interest in history.

We will be publishing a new article every Friday afternoon, and will hold to this weekly submission. Our contributors have built up a queue of articles ready for posting, so that we should be able to keep posting without dry spells. Our goal is to be one of the most interesting and most professional history and HEMA blogs currently active!

If you are intrigued, then come and pay us a visit:

We have this week's article written and posted, next week will be a review of the SWASH weekend.

Our blog has been updating regularly every single week on Friday afternoons. There are lots of different types of articles including essays on history, discussions about historical European martial arts, reviews of training events, and even a new article about different historical re-enactment combat rule sets. Content will continue to be posted regularly, so if you haven't taken a look at the blog so far, you should have a read and start following us!

-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:46 pm

The Academy of Historical Arts has opened a new club in the Scotstoun area of Glasgow with the intention of studying solely the Scottish martial arts. The Scostoun Broadsword Club will no doubt become a valuable component part of our Academy, and it is bringing the Academy's membership number up to somewhere between 80 and 90 people. A good push just after Christmas to bring the Scotstoun club up to speed should hopefully see us with over 100 people in our organisation!

The club runs on Tuesday evenings from 7pm to 9pm in the Heart of Scotstoun Community Centre, 64 Balmoral Street, Scotstoun, G14 0HB. If anyone finds themselves in Glasgow on a Tuesday night at some point then please feel free to drop in, visit us and play with swords :)

As a side note, if anyone has any old basket-hilt swords, old fencing masks or other old safety equipment that you no longer need for any reason, then please consider donating them to charity. The Academy of Historical Arts is part of the Triquetra Services (Scotland) historical education charity and any such donations will help us provide educational programmes and will help us set up new clubs like in Scotstoun. If you have something that you would like to donate then please PM me, we might well be able to work out some kind of deal to cover postage; businesses also receive tax breaks for donating equipment to charity, so please bear that in mind if you run a business related to this field! :D
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:26 pm

The Academy of Historical Arts has opened a new club in Helensburgh, just outside Glasgow, with the intention of studying the Scottish martial arts. The club had its opening night earlier this week and drew participants with ages ranging from 12 - 24. There is already quite a lot of interest in the town and we hope to see the club grow and expand rapidly. The practice is taught by Jonathan Spouge, one of our up-and-coming instructors.

The club runs on Monday afternoons from 5pm to 7pm in the Victoria Hall on Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, G84 8TU. If anyone finds themselves in Glasgow on a Monday afternoon at some point then please feel free to drop in, visit us and play with swords

As a side note, if anyone has any old basket-hilt wasters, old fencing masks or other old safety equipment that you no longer need for any reason, then please consider donating them to charity. The Academy of Historical Arts is part of the Triquetra Services (Scotland) historical education charity and any such donations will help us provide HEMA education programmes and will help us set up new clubs like this one in Helensburgh. If you have something that you would like to donate then please PM me, we might well be able to work out some kind of deal to cover postage; businesses also receive tax breaks for donating equipment to charity, so please bear that in mind if you run a business related to this field! ;)
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Having just joined this forum I wasn't aware of your organisation, but I must say you have done Scotland proud. I don't think I'd be good at the more martial arts side of things but would like to know if you'd accept a fellow Celt (although highly unlikely to ever attend due to distance) who would be interested in learning about music (particularly that of the early to middle 17th century)
Henri De Ceredigion

Postby KeithFarrell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Henri De Ceredigion wrote:Having just joined this forum I wasn't aware of your organisation, but I must say you have done Scotland proud. I don't think I'd be good at the more martial arts side of things but would like to know if you'd accept a fellow Celt (although highly unlikely to ever attend due to distance) who would be interested in learning about music (particularly that of the early to middle 17th century)

Thank you for your kind words :) if you ever do find yourself up in our neck of the woods then you would be welcome to drop in. We don't do a lot with historical music yet, but we have several talented musicians within our Academy, and we do want to set up some kind of musical programme at some point in the future.
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi everyone, I am happy to announce that the website for the Academy of Historical Arts has just received a major update and facelift. It is now much better looking, much easier to update, and contains much more (and better!) information than before.

The library section is particularly good, with a lot of excellent documentation, research and related articles.

http://www.historical-academy.co.uk/

(if you still see the old website, you may have to hit the refresh button for your browser)
-- Keith Farrell --
Corsair's Wares
KeithFarrell

Return to Societies